November 11, 2012 § Leave a comment
Some of the loveliest buildings still to be seen in Viareggio that date to the early 1900s are the Bagno Balena and the Teatro Margherita, while 19th century Viareggio is represented by the majestic Palazzo delle Muse, which overlooks Piazza Mazzini and now houses the Museo Civico Archeologico A.C. Blanc. Very little left of the old 16th century town, except for the imposing Torre Matilde, built after 1534 as a result of an ordinance by the Luccan senate. The first masonry structures of the small port were built around this defense tower. As time passed the port continued to grow in importance thanks both to commercial fishing and to ship building, activities which still today play an import part in the local economy, side by side with the flourishing resort activities. Lastly, speaking of Viareggio mention of its famous Carnival is mandatory. The imaginative floats take the masters in the art of papier ma months to make.
July 6, 2012 § Leave a comment
This industrial town is also a famous seaside resort, with an extensive beach bordered by a flourishing pine grove. The Parish Church of San Leopoldo, a church which dates to 1836-38, is interesting because of the original combination of materials used in its construction – cast iron, stone and wood. The Biblioteca Comunale is also of interest for its exhibition models of 19th-century smelting installations.
This rocky zone lies at the southern tip of the gulf of Follonica. This patch of land is almost untouched, with a beach of fine sand crowned by a dense Mediterranean shrub which reaches down to the sea. In the last twent:o years Punta Ala has become an exclusive residential area.
Castiglion della Pescaia
Well known seaside resort on the Maremman coast.. Castiglion della Pescaia has a lovely beach and varied cliffs along the sea. The picturesque portcanal is always full of fishing boats and yachts. There is also a fine pine grove set above the city which here and there reaches right down to the sea. Clinging to a hillside and esclosed within a solid circuit of walls, the old medieild town of Castiglione Castello is dominated by the fuse Aragonese fortress of the 14th-15th century.
July 6, 2012 § Leave a comment
The architecture of San Gimignano makes this small city, so concentrated and noble, unique with the geometric pattern of the towers rising above the town. It was already known in Etruscan and Roman times. During the Middle Ages its importance grew thanks to the presence of the Via Francigena, the most important route at the time which connected Italy to all of Europe. San Gimignano almost always sided with Florence, but was unable to expand its power or its boundaries further because geographically it was inhibited by nearby Florence and Siena. The two urban spaces with the greatest wealth, artistically speaking, are the Piazza della Cistema and the Piazza Duomo. The former takes its name from the 13th-century cistern set almost in the center of the square. All around is a series of medieval buildings including, on the south, the Palazzo Tortolini Treccani (14th cent.) with two tiers of two-light windows, the Casa Salvestrini and the Casa Razzi (13th cent.); on the west side, the twin Guelph Towers of the Ardinghelli (13th cent.); and lastly, on the north, the Palazzo Cortesi flanked by the tower of the same name known also as Torre del Diavolo (Devil’s Tower). The Palazzo del Podesta, built in 1239 and enlarged about a century later, rises up on the Piazza Duomo. There is a fine fresco by Sodoma on the ground floor. One of the tallest towers (51 m.), the Torre known as Rognosa, rises up over the palace, while right across the way is the Collegiata, built around 1239 on the ruins of the old parish church of San Gimignano, with a fine facade in brick and stone. The tripartite Romanesque interior has magnificent cross vaulting. On the internal wall of the facade there are frescoes by Taddeo di Bartolo, and, at the sides, two wooden statues by Jacopo della Quercia (1421). The walls are entirely covered with fine frescoes: on the wall of the right aisle there is a beautiful cycle depicting Scenes and Episodes of the New Testament by Barna da Siena. At the back of the aisle is the Chapel of Santa Finn (patron saint of the city), with terra cottas by Giuliano and Benedetto da Maiano; the frescoes on the side walls with Episodes from the Life of the Saint are by Ghirlandaio (1475), the fine altar piece is by Giuliano da Maiano. On the wall of the left aisle there is another fresco cycle of Stories of the Old Testament. Note the fine ciborium (1475) by Benedetto da Maiano on the high altar and an Annunciation by Ghirlandaio in the loggia of the Baptistery. The Palazzo del Popolo (now Town Hall) stands to the left of the Collegiata. It was built in the second half of the 13th century and enlarged in the early decades of the next century. The fine facade is spangled with the coats of arms of the podesta. Inside are the Museo Civico and the Pinacoteca Civica. The former is installed on the top floor and exhibits extremely interesting works including a fresco of the Maesta by Lippo Memmi. The latter contains a valuable collection of paintings of the schools of Siena and Florence from the 13th to the 15th centuries, including works by Filippino Lippi, Coppo di Marcovaldo, Pintugicchio and Benozzo Gozzoli. Near the Piazza del Duomo is the Piazza Pecori with the fine Palazzo della Propositura, seat of the Museum of Religious Art with its rich collection of paintings, precious church furnishings and minor arts. Near the square is the Rocca, built by the Florentines in 1353. This solid bastion is pentagonal in plan and has small towers and the remains of walls. Other historical buildings of note include the Church of San Bartolomeo (13th cent.), with a brick facade decorated with two orders of blind arches; the Church of Sant’Agostino (late 13th cent.), with an extremely simple facade and works by Benozzo Gozzoli, Lippo Memmi and Bartolo di Fredi inside; the Church of San Pietro (11th cent.); the Church of San Jacopo (13th cent.), with a nave only and unusual elements in the vaults which spring from transverse arches on engaged piers with half columns; and finally the former Church of San Francesco (now used as a wine cellar) with a lovely white facade.
May 5, 2012 § Leave a comment
A small agricultural and industrial town, Borgo a Mozzano still retains interesting signs of its past including the Parrocchiale of San Jacopo, which contains some 15th-16th century sculpture and some interesting Della Robbian terra cottas; the Oratory of the Crucifix, with a fine wooden Crucifix of the 16th century, and the Church of San Francesco in Baroque style. Not far from the town is the picturesque Bridge of the Devil or Ponte della Maddalena, with a hog’s back roadbed and asymmetrical arches (14th cent.).
April 8, 2012 § Leave a comment
The city was the heart of the Medici Grand Duchy in Garfagnana. The religious buildings of the city are particularly interesting: first and foremost the Cathedral, built and modified in various stages from the 9th to the 20th century. No less interesting are the 16th century Church of San Francesco. the numerous palaces which belonged to the important local families and which line the Via di Mezzo, di Borgo and Pretorio; and the Palazzo Pretorio, seat of the Florentine podesta who set their coats of arms on the 14th century loggia next to the building.
April 8, 2012 § Leave a comment
The town is famous above all because it is the birthplace of Leonardo, the great genius who still today is why people come to Vinci. A fine Museum has recently been installed which serves as a study center on Leonardo’s work as well and which houses numerous models of machines and contraptions made from designs by Leonardo. But the town is much older than its illustrious representative: it developed around the castle of the feudatory Counts Guidi and then in the 13th century passed under the dominion of Florence. Still today the Castle retains its 13th century appearance: inside it is decorated with coats of arms and other ornaments. Within the walls of the castle is the Church of Santa Croce, Romanesque in origin but frequently remodeled. Also of interest is the 17th century Oratory of the Santissima Annunziata, on the site of a particularly venerated shrine. Inside is an Annunciation attributed to Paolino da Pistoia.